What does this mean?
- The shelter daily operations will be closing so that we can disinfect the shelter to eliminate the spread of the Feline Panleuk virus.
- NO strays/surrenders will be accepted during the closure of the building.
- Please take all strays/owner surrenders to Tri-County Animal Shelter located in Hughesville, MD
- NO adoptions will take place during the closure.
- WE WILL RE-OPEN ON Monday, June 19.
Additional Details: We are an open intake shelter, and with that comes the fact that many strays surrendered to HSCC have lived outside and have not been properly vaccinated. This was the instance with kittens that were dropped off at our shelter and tested positive for the feline panleukopenia virus. Once this virus is detected, we go into overdrive to clean every single area in the shelter whether it needs it or not. To contain the virus, it is very important not to expose other kittens/cats, and therefore are asking that no strays or owner surrenders come in to our shelter at this time. We will also not be adopting out until we can make sure that we have cleaned from top to bottom and that all animals are healthy and free from this virus. To read more about the virus, click below.