At this time we are unable to have volunteers at the shelter. We have gone to a Zone/Shift system to keep our workers safe. Many services are being conducted in such a manner as to eliminate physical contact. Orientation are being conducted online. Adoptions are taking place outside the building. Meet and greets and animal previews are going online! When it is safe for you to return to help us at the Humane Society of Charles County you will be ready! Please continue to put in your applications. We will need your help soon!
Our volunteers provide all the “extras” that we need to keep our animals happy and our shelter humming. Never afraid to roll up their sleeves and tackle a new task, the HSCC’s dedicated volunteers pitch in when and where they are needed most, sometimes at high-profile events and sometimes folding the mountains of laundry generated every day. Every task is important, and we sincerely appreciate every volunteer hour. If you are passionate about animals, we welcome ages 6* and up to become a volunteer.
Volunteering at the HSCC is a two-way street. Volunteers give their time and talent and receive the love and affection of hundreds of animals (and humans!) in return.
The Humane Society of Charles County (HSCC) is always in need of vibrant volunteers who can help with things such as:
- dog walking
- cat socialization
- fostering an animal
- cleaning kennels
- cleaning off-site cat cottages
- off-site adoption events
- special fundraising events — “Bark in the Park, Holiday Craft Fair and Top Dog“
- gardening, grounds maintenance
- clerical help
- humane education
- pet therapy and paws-to-read
****Read the Volunteer Process Below******
The following is our Volunteer Process. We are still in the early phases of implementing this new way of becoming a volunteer, so please be patient as we evolve.
- All potential ADULT and JUNIOR new volunteers will need to complete our NEW Adult Volunteer Application or Junior Volunteer Application.
- Potential new volunteers, after being approved, will need to pay a non-refundable $25.00 application & training fee. This $25.00 non-refundable fee will cover the following:
- Background check for adults and vetting of your volunteer application
- Attendance at one of the Volunteer Orientation Classes offered (you will receive an email after your application is accepted)
- Volunteer T-Shirt
- Volunteer Name Badge
- Basic Shelter Training for Care of Cats & Dogs
Volunteer Applications that have been approved will receive an email with a link to sign up for an upcoming Volunteer Orientation /Training Class and the link to pay the $25.00 non-refundable fee.
If you are ready to volunteer…. get started now
Any questions, please email
*Please note that ages 6-16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during their volunteering time.