Volunteer Orientations held the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month. You must first fill out an application, pay the Volunteer & Application Training fee, and receive an email with confirmation that your application was vetted and you have been accepted.
The Humane Society of Charles County (HSCC) is always in need of vibrant volunteers who can help with things such as:
- dog walking
- cat socialization
- fostering an animal
- cleaning kennels
- cleaning off-site cat cottages
- off-site adoption events
- special fundraising events — “Mutt Madness, Holiday Craft Fair and Top Dog“
- gardening, grounds maintenance
- clerical help
- humane education
- pet therapy and paws-to-read
Our volunteers provide all the “extras” that we need to keep our animals happy and our shelter humming. Never afraid to roll up their sleeves and tackle a new task, the HSCC’s dedicated volunteers pitch in when and where they are needed most, sometimes at high-profile events and sometimes folding the mountains of laundry generated every day. Every task is important, and we sincerely appreciate every volunteer hour. If you are passionate about animals, we welcome ages 6* and up to become a volunteer.
Volunteering at the HSCC is a two-way street. Volunteers give their time and talent and receive the love and affection of hundreds of animals (and humans!) in return. Have questions, READ THE FAQ’s
Please Follow these New Volunteer Procedures
The following is our new Volunteer Process. We are still in the early phases of implementing this new way of becoming a volunteer, so please be patient as we evolve.
- All potential ADULT and JUNIOR new volunteers will need to complete our NEW Adult Volunteer Application or Junior Volunteer Application.
- Potential new volunteers will then need to pay the non-refundable $25.00 application & training fee (this link will take you to our Products page and payment will be accepted via credit card by Paypal). The $25.00 non-refundable fee will cover the following:
- Background check for adults and vetting of your volunteer application
- Attendance at one of the Volunteer Orientation Classes offered (you will be provided an email at a later date)
- Volunteer T-Shirt
- Volunteer Name Badge
- Basic Shelter Training for Care of Cats & Dogs
Approved New Volunteers will receive an email once your application has been processed with a link to sign up for an upcoming Volunteer Orientation /Training Class. Volunteer Orientations occur on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month from 9:00am-11:00am in the Humane Education Room at the shelter.
If you are ready to volunteer…. get started now
Payment for the VOLUNTEER TRAINING & APPLICATION FEE
Any questions, please email
*Please note that ages 6-16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during their volunteering time.